Any Rproject available from R-Forge can be downloaded using subversion (also called svn).
I suppose svn is already installed on your computer, if not just use Ubuntu Software Centre (more info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Subversion).
Use the “Anonymous Subversion Access”, go to terminal and type:
svn checkout svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/projectname/
Each project can contain many packages. Each package is contained in a folder.
To install a package in R, go to terminal and type:
cd ~/projectname/pkg R CMD check packagename
If there are no errors, you can install the package:
R CMD INSTALL packagename
To build the package tarball:
R CMD build packagename
If you make a change to the code and want to add your contribution to the repository, you should contact one of the administrators of the package to be added to the list of developers.
Once you have your own developer account you can commit your changes in this way:
- check out the last copy of the package using the Developer Subversion Access via SSH: svn checkout svn+ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org/svnroot/projectname/
- go to the directory containing the project (e.g. cd ~/projectname)
- type svn status (you get a list of the files you have added(?) or deleted(!) in your copy)
- to apply the same changes to the repo, type: svn add path/example.R or svn delete path/example.R
- once you have done this or if you have simply modified existing file, then you are ready to commit: svn commit