I’m an Italian scientist and researcher with a passion for technologies and open knowledge/data/source projects. My research interests are in the development of shared research environments to undertake hydrological and environmental analysis and provide open access to predictions in data rich and data poor environments.
- 2015 – PhD in Hydrology
Imperial College London (UK)
Thesis title: “Exploring data mining for hydrological modelling”.
- 2005 – Master in Environmental Management
University of Naples ”Federico II” (Italy)
Thesis title: “Uncertainty analysis of a water balance model for the Alento River in Southern Italy ”.
- 2004 – Degree in Civil Engineering with major in Hydraulics
University of Salerno (Italy)
Thesis title: “Debris-flow propagation”.
Halcrow Technical Paper Award 2010 for the paper ”Extreme Rainfall in the Mediterranean”.
Membership of Associations
- Chartered Civil Engineer in Italy
- Member of the British Hydrological Society
- Student member of the Institution of Civil Engineers in UK.
- Oct 2016 – Present: Scientist
Evaluation Team – Forecast Department
European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecast, Reading (United Kingdom)
- Sep 2015 – Jul 2016: Post Doctoral Research Fellow
Department of Computer Science – Institute for Environment, Health and Societies – Business School
Brunel University London, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH (United Kingdom)
- Nov 2010 – Jun 2015: Research Assistant
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Imperial College London, London, SW7 2AZ (United Kingdom)
- Oct 2008 – Jul 2010: Hydrologist/Developer
Halcrow Group Ltd (now CH2M Hill), Crawley (United Kingdom)
- Sep 2007 – Jun 2008: Research Engineer
University Consortium for Research on Great Hazards (C.U.G.RI.), Salerno (Italy)
- Feb 2006 – Jul 2007: Research Engineer
Centre for Analysis and Monitoring of Environmental Risk (A.M.R.A.), Napoli (Italy)
- Vitolo C., Elkhatib Y., Reusser D., Macleod C. J.A., Buytaert W., Web technologies for environmental Big Data, Environmental Modelling & Software, Volume 63, January 2015, Pages 185-198, ISSN 1364-8152 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.10.007).
This paper is featured on ScienceDirect as the n.1 most downloaded paper from the Environmental Modelling and Software journal (since Jan 2015).
- M.E. Wilkinson, E. Mackay, P.F. Quinn, M. Stutter, K.J. Beven, C.J.A. MacLeod, M.G. Macklin, Y. Elkhatib, B. Percy, C. Vitolo, P.M. Haygarth, A cloud based tool for knowledge exchange on local scale flood risk, Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 161, 15 September 2015, Pages 38-50, ISSN 0301-4797 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2015.06.009).
- Why and how open data and open APIs can improve research, with examples using the National River Flow Archive and the R language. Environmental Dynamics research group seminar series, Department of Geography, King’s College London, 12th February 2016, London (UK). Slides + demo are available here.
- Improving access to geospatial Big Data in the hydrology domain, Royal Statistical Society (Business and Industrial Section) event on Big Data and Spatial Analytics, 18th November 2015, London (UK). Slides + Demo.
- Hydrological models as web services: results from EVOp and ESPA projects. British Hydrological Society meeting on “Environmental Virtual Observatories: managing catchments with wellies, sensors and smartphones”, February 2013, Westminster, London (UK).
Science blog networks
- Using the Web for Environmental Big Data on HEPEX
- Vitolo C., Wells P., WebGIS applications for the new generation of hydrological models, FOSS4G2013, 2013, Nottingham (UK).
- Vitolo C., Buytaert W., Reusser D., Hydrological Models as Web Services: An Implementation using OGC Standards, HIC-2012 10th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, July 2012, Hamburg (Germany).
- De Luca C., Furcolo P., Rossi F., Villani P., Vitolo C., Extreme rainfall in the Mediterranean, International Workshop Advances in Statistical Hydrology, Publisher: STAHY, May 2010, Taormina (Italy).
Presentations at conferences
- Vitolo C., Buytaert W., Data Mining of Hydrological Model Performance, European Geosciences Union General Assembly, April 2013, Vienna (Austria).
- Buytaert W., Vitolo C., Hydrological modelling in a ”big data” era: a proof of concept of hydrological models as web services, European Geosciences Union General Assembly, April 2013, Vienna (Austria).
- Vitolo C., Buytaert W., Elkhatib Y., Gemmell A., Reany S., Beven K., Cloud-enabled Web Applications for Environmental Modelling, AGU Fall Meeting, December 2012, San Francisco (USA).
- Pasetto D., Vitolo C., Data Assimilation for the Lorenz (1963) Model using Ensemble and Extended Kalman Filter, Biogeodynamics and Earth System Sciences Summer School (BESS), June 2011, Venice (Italy). Figshare. http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.814536
- Mastrandrea G., Vitolo C., Benevento G., Furcolo P., Rossi F., Regional characteristics and spatial patterns of extreme precipitation in Southern Italy, European Geosciences Union General Assembly, April 2007, Vienna (Austria).
- Vitolo C., BigDataAnalytics (R-package), (in preparation), GitHub repository, https://github.com/cvitolo/r_BigDataAnalytics, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.15722
- Vitolo C., Automatic Model Configuration Algorithm (AMCA, R-package), (2015), GitHub repository, https://github.com/cvitolo/r_amca, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.15721
- Vitolo C., Le Vine N., Soil Conservation Service Curve Number method (CurveNumber, R-package), (2015), GitHub repository, https://github.com/cvitolo/r_CurveNumber, doi:
- Vitolo C., Huntley N., PURE (R package), (2015), GitHub
https://github.com/cvitolo/r_pure, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.15720
- Vitolo C. and Fry M., R for the National River Flow Archive (rnrfa, R package), (2014), GitHub repository, https://github.com/cvitolo/r_rnrfa, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.14722
- Vitolo C., Hydrological Data Discovery Tools (hddtools, R package), (2014), GitHub repository, https://github.com/cvitolo/r_hddtools, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.14721
- Vitolo C., TreeMap (R package), (2014), GitHub repository, https://github.com/cvitolo/r_treemap,
- Vitolo C., Wells P., Dobias M., FUSE (fuse, R package): Framework for Understanding Structural Errors by Clark et al. (2008), (2013), GitHub repository, https://github.com/ICHydro/r_fuse, doi:
- Vitolo C., xml4wps (xml4wps, R-package), (2012), GitHub
https://github.com/cvitolo/xml4wps, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.15718.
- Vitolo, C. (2011). FUSE module by Clark et al. (2008) in RHydro (R-package), R-Forge: https://r-forge.r-project.org/users/claudia/.
Research Dissemination and Outreach
I publish a blog on my research and R development (claudiavitolo.com) which received about 2100 page views in 2014. I also maintain a group blog on water-related research issues with my former colleagues at Imperial College London (hydroscientists.com).
I moderate a Google+ community on the use of R-related technologies for hydrological analysis (R4Hydrology).
- Open source projects
I have produced 10 R packages as a result of my research (see publications-software section below).
- Geographical Information Systems and data analysis (MSc module)
Brunel University London
- Short course: Introduction to environmental data analysis and simulation using R
28 - 29 September 2015
Imperial College London